Tasty Recipe Starring Garden-Fresh Tomatoes
This tortilla casserole is perfect for casual entertaining. Round out the meal with a crisp salad of wild greens, sliced tomatoes, or fresh avocados.
- 1 lb. boneless sirloin steak
- 6 tbsp. lime juice
- ½ tsp. ancho chile pepper powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large red onion
- 2 ear fresh corn
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 1 tsp. chopped chipotle pepper
- ¼ c. low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. lime zest
- 6 corn tortillas
- 2 c. Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 tomatoes
- 1½ tsp. chopped oregano
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Marinate the steak with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, ancho powder, and salt for 30 minutes.
- Toss the onion and corn in olive oil. Grill onion until tender, corn until golden brown, and steak to rare. Cut steak into 3/4-inch pieces, chop onion, cut kernels from the cob, and transfer all to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss beans, both peppers, chicken broth, remaining lime juice, and lime zest with the steak.
- Place 2 tortillas in the bottom of a 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish and sprinkle with 3/4 cup of the cheese. Spoon 1/3 of the steak and bean mixture evenly over the cheese and top with 1/3 of the tomato slices and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.
- Repeat to complete 3 layers, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 10 more minutes. Serve immediately.