A Delicious Summer Dessert!
This dessert is surprisingly easy to prepare, but there will be absolutely no left-overs. With a dollop of cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream it is a complete crowd pleaser!
FOR THE TOPPING
– 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 cup canola oil
– 2 tablespoons water
– 1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds
FOR THE FILLING
– 3 1/2 pounds ripe peaches (about 11 medium peaches)
– 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
– 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup sugar
– Vanilla ice cream, (optional)
- For the topping: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees with rack in the middle position. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, and Stir in oil and water until blended. Topping will look like clumpy wet sand. Stir in almonds and set aside.
- For the filling: In a large saucepan of boiling water, working in batches, blanch peaches for 1 minute. Remove them with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl of cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel off skin. Halve, pit, and cut peaches into 1/2-inch wedges.
- In a mediumbowl, mix together peaches, lemon juice, flour, and sugar. Place filling in an 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over peaches. Bake until the topping turns a deep, golden brown and the filling is bubbling around the edges, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
To make mealtime preparation easier, consider preparing this crisp in advance and then keeping it at room temperature for a few hours. Just before serving, reheat it in a warm oven.