Hannah’s Sweet and Savory Chicken and Peaches
Good Food, Good Times
Made with sweet, juicy Colorado peaches, this is a delicious recipe! You friends and family will want seconds.
Hannah Skalicky, Age 10,was winner of the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge from Colorado
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 peaches, pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, and minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 ½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups cooked basmati, white or brown rice
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- Optional toppings: Raisins, cashews, peanuts, sliced bell pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season chicken breasts each with ½ teaspoon curry powder, salt, and pepper, and add to the grill. Cook for 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove chicken then add peach halves, cut side down, and cover. Grill until peaches are soft and tender, about 4 minutes. Remove from the grill, plate, and drizzle with honey.
- In a large nonstick pan, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Add ¾ cup broth, cinnamon, and apple to pan and warm through.
- In a blender, combine milk, flour, remaining 1 teaspoon curry powder, ¼ cup broth, oregano, salt, and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a small saucepan, heat over medium heat, continuously stirring with a whisk, until slightly thickened.
- Divide the cooked rice and chicken amongst 4 plates. Top chicken with vegetables and sauce. Arrange cucumbers along rim. Serve with grilled peaches.
594 calories 10g fat 55g carbohydrates 71g protein
Recipe & photo courtesy of Let’s Move
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Awesome Garden Club.